Kadhi is a traditional recipe from Gujarat region of India. It is very simple preparation of yogurt and some tempering which is very comforting food. Kadhi is usually served with Khichadi (rice and daal preparation) or puranpoli (roti stuffed with sweet daal). While cooking on stovetop Kadhi is should be cooked on low flame else it curdles and it also overflows. This makes Kadhi a very obvious choice for slowcooker or crockpot cooking. Here is the slowcooker version of traditional gujarati kadhi.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 people
1. 3/4 cup yogurt
2. 1-1/2 tbs chick peas flour ( chana dal flour/gram flour )
3. 2- 1/2 cup water
4. salt to teats
5. 2 tsp sugar
6. pinch of turmeric powder (optional)
7. 2 big cut green chili or as per taste
8. chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
1.2 tsp ghee ( oil ) How to make Ghee using crockpot
2.1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3.1 tsp cumin seeds
5.2 small cinnamon stick
6.10 curry leaves
Method Step By Step:
1.In mixing bowl add yogurt and flour and mix it very well so no clumps remain
2.Add water and all other items under the ingredients except for tempering ingredients.
3. This is Kadhi mixture to which we will add tempering.
1.In a frying pan combine ghee, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Put it on medium high flame on stove top.
2.After cumin and mustard seeds cracks, add clove, cinnamon and curry leaves.
3. Add this tempering to Kadhi mixture prepared above.
4. Transfer Kadhi mixture in a slow cooker bowl and cover it.
5. Set slow cooker on high.
6. After about 1 hour or so, taste Kadhi, if raw taste of gram flour is gone that means Kadhi is cooked.
7. Transfer Kadhi in a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves( cilantro ).
Serve hot with puranpoli, roti, rice, pulav or khichadi. I will be posting slow cooker Khichadi recipe soon. Come visit soon.
1. Slow-Cooker Vegetable Pulav Recipe
2. Slow-Cooker or Crockpot Sprout Pulav Recipe
If you like what you are reading, follow us on Facebook, Twitter , Pinterest or Google+.